Legal secretarial role
PI/Litigation Dept (Part-Time)
Main purpose of role
The prime role of the legal secretary is to provide direct support to his/her principal to enable them to operate at optimum efficiency. This will include but will not be limited to the main responsibilities given below. The legal secretary is expected to use a high degree of self-management and initiative.
- In the absence of the lawyer, collecting opened post from the post room, placing it on the lawyer’s desk, collating it and dealing with any urgent matters arising, under the supervision of a partner if necessary
- Filing all the previous day’s correspondence and other documents first thing in the morning.
- Maintaining all files and filing cabinets in a neat and tidy state.
- Opening and closing files.
- Word processing of all types and basic spreadsheets.
- Maintaining all the lawyer’s computer files in accordance with good computer housekeeping standards.
- Dealing with clients, solicitors and other third parties on the telephone and in meetings as required; making a fully completed attendance note of each telephone call made or received and each meeting.
- Attending Court with solicitors or Counsel or clients or others as the lawyer may reasonably require,
- Completion of forms and preparation of other legal documents as required and under such supervision as the lawyer shall reasonably require.
- Ensuring that all correspondence to be signed by the lawyer is available for signature in good time to catch the DX or post. Personally checking that all enclosures with correspondence are enclosed, placing all letters and enclosures in the correct envelope, sealing the envelope and delivering it to the Post Room.
- Ensuring that your desk and immediate working area are kept neat and tidy at all times.
- Assisting other secretaries with tasks similar to those set out above, giving assistance to other members of staff and carrying out such other tasks as may be reasonably required.
- Working at all times in accordance within the requirements of the SRA, the Office Manual and the firm’s accreditations
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Excellent written and verbal English, including the ability to review own work critically to ensure accuracy
- Excellent telephone manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially in relation to handling anxious and emotional clients
- Smart appearance and presentation
- Experience of general secretarial work.
- PI Portal knowledge would be advantageous but not a necessity
- Ability to carry out all tasks efficiently and competently
- Ability to prioritise workload
Residential Conveyancing Head of Department
The head of our outstanding conveyancing team is retiring so there is an opportunity for an experienced conveyancer with supervisor experience to lead our team into the future.
The team, located in the centre of Worcester, consists of a Licensed Conveyancer a highly experienced paralegal, a trainee Legal Executive and a trainee Licensed Conveyancer together with an experienced Legal Assistant.
You will be eligible to sign Certificates of Title, so a Solicitor, Chartered Legal Executive or Licensed Conveyancer, and you will need to be familiar and comfortable with working in accordance with Lexcel and CQS quality procedures.
You will have a thorough knowledge and extensive experience of residential conveyancing processes – sales, purchases, leaseholds, freeholds, re-mortgages, shared ownership, transfers of equity, declarations of trusts and right to buy purchases. You will need to be able to handle a full case load from inception to completion.
In addition to excellent legal and practical skills, you will be committed to a high standard of client care, including having an excellent manner with clients in person and on the telephone. You will also have an open and approachable management style which encourages interaction and mutual aid within your team.
You will be expected to attend networking events and seminars to maintain your expertise, develop new business relationships and cement existing ones.
If this is you, please contact Dawn Hodgkins, our Practice Manager, by email at email@example.com.